It is certainly true that the evolution of the class offerings and structure at MVT have come in part from consultations with students, as well as out own observations on how to improve what we offer.
When we added the Combat Patrol class, it was a prerequisite to have attended CRCD. Because of requests from students who had a long way to travel, and wanted to knock it all out in one go, we added the 5 day combined class, which has since become 6 days with the addition of the TC3/RMP in front.
In two posts over recent days, I have explained the new prerequisites for CRCD:
Here is the new class prerequisite training policy:
1) RMP will remain optional but strongly encouraged prior to CRCD classes, even for alumni. We all need refresher training, as much as we can get.
2) CRM will be mandatory as a prerequisite to CRCD classes, unless:
3) If, despite these prerequisites, you are able to bluff your way onto a class, and the remedial training/individual attention required to get you up to speed will affect the training experience of the rest of the class to an unacceptable level, MVT reserves the right to stand you down from the class. We haven’t done it yet, but with these new policies there isn’t really any excuse. One of the main problems we have is with students who have training scars from bad schools or self-training. RMP helps with this, but CRM helps a lot more.
Predictably, there have now been calls to schedule CRM and CRCD consecutively, rather than concurrently as happens now. There are some conflicts here, and I am going to lay it out for you and see what sort of feedback we get. These options / considerations are for planning purposes for the new training schedule beyond January 2015, and won’t affect the current 2014 schedule:
1) As a rule, we schedule classes mainly on weekends, or incorporating weekends, because most people work and weekends are easier to get time off. We try to lessen the impact on your vacation days. Both Aaron and I have various commitments which means we usually schedule 2 perhaps 3 weekends a month, depending how many there are in that month, for MVT training.
2) I have the following suggestion as a possible compromise on the concurrent or consecutive scheduling of the CRM & CRCD training:
So there you go, options. I would like to hear feedback. Please remember that we have to find middle ground that will work for most people.
Of course, we don’t have to do any of this. We could just keep it as it is and run CRM when we run CRCD. See these comments from one of the posts, discussing this issue: